Updated: Feb 22
October is here, and we are ready to play. We have many activities planned in our household, drinking pumpkin spiced latte's, costume shopping for the little one, and going out-of-town to see foliage in Mammoth, CA. So, having our closets ready to keep up with us is essential. So, here, I share what I do in my home when it's time for a closet changeover.
1. Start: Pull from your closet and drawers the summer clothing you want to store. Do this by picking up one article of clothing at a time, and ask yourself, "do I want to keep you for next summer?" Instantly your gut will tell you yes or no. If you feel a maybe, keep it;-) You will have then sorted a donation pile and a keep pile.
2. Clean: A quick wipe down of drawers, dust down any cobwebs, and anything else that stands out to you.
3. Add a new habit: A basket with a "donation" sign attached. Here I advise placing clothing and accessories throughout the year. Once the basket is complete, take a quick trip to the donation center. This new habit will keep your closet space feeling light and roomy. Plus, the sorting and transitioning processes are simplified tremendously.
4. Keep it fresh: Add to the closet or replenish your moth traps, cedar chips, or baking soda boxes. If your wardrobe is near the shower, I strongly encourage moisture absorbents; try them, you'll be surprised. Add dryer sheets or wood chips to the boxes or bins where the summer clothes are stored. For all other non-clothing closets, I like to add these steps to keep them fresh.
5. Decide: What is your preferred wardrobe arrangement--color-coded, by occasion, or type? Again, there's no wrong or right; picking your favorite method, not what's trending on social media, will help you stay consistent.
6. Repeat: Follow the same steps for the rest of the closets in the home. If you have children, you know how fast they outgrow clothing, so having the donation basket in the kiddos closets will save you lots of time in the long run.
7. Hug yourself; you did a great job!
www.SimplyFreshInteriors.com Irvine, CA. 949-390-5223